Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weekly Update -- 12 - 18 May 2008

Yay, I'm 71 weeks old today!

Masinja had an interesting week. He has been waking up crying hysterically about 3 times a week or so, and Wednesday morning it was the worst. I went in to get him and he was actually still asleep but he was crying so bad that he had a hard time catching his breath. T.M. and I decided that it was time to take him to the doctor and see what was going on. I called the neurologist's office first, because T.M. and I thought that it would be more her field of expertise. Well, the nurse told me to take him to the pediatrician, because she thought it might be a virus or an ear infection. I followed her advice and off to the pediatrician we went. The doctor examined Masinja and his ears were clear and he was fine. The only thing that she could think of based on the symptoms was "night terrors." She said he was a bit young, but I guess if anyone is entitled to have night terrors, it is certainly Masinja. Afterall, he has been through a lot in his young life!

Masinja also went to the audiologist this week. He had his hearing tested last December, and it was recommended that he be checked again in 6 months. Babies who are in the NICU for more than 5 days are at risk for hearing loss due to the amount of antibiotics that they are given. Masinja did very well on his test. His ear drums are working well and he seems to be hearing just fine.

He has been practicing his "cruising" by going from the coffee table to the couch and back again. I'm sure his PT will be proud when he goes to PT again. He is getting really good at it and it's really quite scary. The next step is for him to actually walk!

Oh, I almost forgot, Masinja now weighs 22 pounds! He is just getting so big!!

Here's a pic from sleepy time!

That's all for now.

Peace,
T.M.M.

1 comment:

Beck said...

AWWWWWWW I love the pic! I can sympathize with the night terror thing.(if that's what it is) Brenna had TERRIBLE night terrors prolly from the time she was 2. She still has them occasionally. It's awful! Good luck and glad to hear he's "cruisin" like a champ!