Thursday, June 4, 2009

Weekly Update -- 11 - 17 May 2009

Yay, I'm 123 weeks old today!

Masinja went to the dentist this week. He had to have his front bottom teeth cleaned because they had tartar build-up. He doesn't cooperate when T.M. and I brush his teeth so I wasn't surprised in the least. He didn't particularly like the cleaning though so maybe now he will starte cooperating! Other than that he got a clean bill of dental health. The denist also said that it is looking more and more possible that when his permanent teeth come in they will be white instead of yellow. Hurray!!

Masinja had his 15th ECI session today. He and I met his teacher at the Early Childhood Center. He had a great time in the gross motor room playing in the ball pit and playing with the matchbox cars. His teacher tried to get him to play on the little gym setup, but he really didn't want anything to do with it. She did manage to get him to walk down the stairs a few times though. We tried taking him into the reading room, but he didn't do very well in that environment. It was right in the middle of song time and he I think it was too loud and busy.

Based on a conversation that I had with Masinja's teacher while we were at the Early Childhood Center, T.M. and I are considering pulling Masinja out of ECI. I told her about Masinja's followup PT appointment last Friday and how his physical therapist was concerned about his speech and asked one of the speech therapists to sit in and listen to him. I explained to his teacher that the speech therapist doesn't feel that Masinja has an articulation problem but rather a phonics problem. I told her that he was on the waiting list to recieve therapy. She got really annoyed and said, "I hate the medically based therapies! They always do things so differently." This really surprised T.M. and I, because she has been telling us for weeks now that we are more than welcome to seek therapy outside of ECI and that in fact most families do. We haven't decided for sure yet what we are going to do, but we will let you know when we do.

That's all for now.

Peace,
T.M.M.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Call if you have any questions!