Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Weekly Update -- 11 - 17 January 2010

Yay, I'm 158 weeks old today!

Masinja did well at Speech again this week. He has made a ton of progress with the boy/girl cards and differentiating between the two. He still gets stuck on a few, but it's completely understandable because even I would be hard pressed to identify a few of them as girls :o) He gave his therapist and I a good laugh though. He was about 85-90% successful in identifying boy/girl with the cards but when asked if his therapist and I were boys or girls he said we were both boys. Also, when we asked him if he was a boy or girl, he said girl!

Masinja got to play at Parent Connections again this week. I attended a training titled "The Power of Play." I was hoping it was going to give us some ideas of how to play with Masinja since T.M. and I have been having such a hard time. Masinja tends to be very rigid when it comes to his toys and how to play with them. The training was a waste of time though. The presenter basically emphasized how important play was to a child's development and outlined the different types of play. Being that I was an elementary school teacher for 9 plus years, I already knew all of that information. She also emphasized the importance of staying away from drill like activities. She said that play should not be centered around academic skills such as the alphabet, numbers, colors and shapes. When I told her that Masinja is obsessed with all of those things and asked her specifically for suggestions on how to get him to focus on other types of play she had no idea how to answer me! Oh well, T.M. I will just have to figure it out on our own I guess.

That's all for now.

Peace,
T.M.M.

No comments: